Home  Benefits   Events  Photo Album  Our Towns   Videos  News  Sponsors   Newsletter  Contact 
 

Arapuni

ArapuniArapuni is a small village 16 kilometres west of Putaruru en route to Waitomo. The village is home to a hydro electric power station and dam which were among the first to be built on the Waikato River. Construction began in 1924 and the first power was supplied in 1929. Over the years the powerhouse has been extended; two additional generators were installed in 1934 and two more in 1937 and 1938; with a final two units commissioned in 1945 and 1946. This power station has given faithful service to the region over the years, and deserves it's title of Old Workhorse of the Waikato.
 
The swing bridge, which is suspended 54 metres above the power station, is 152 metres long and has a slope of 8 metres. It can be accessed from Arapuni Village and was erected in 1925 to enable easy access for power station employees. Although not for the faint hearted, those who do venture over the bridge are rewarded with spectacular views of the scenic gorge. Public toilets are located at the dam site.
 
Jones' Landing is named after Gordon Jones' father who had a boatshed there. The area provides the local communities and visiting tourists with good boating, trout fishing, picnic and swimming opportunities. Visitors are treated to impressive geological features. The cliffs to the right of the landing are formed by ignimbrite blocks which are vertically fissured by cooling stresses.